Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tween Tribune




I had the opportunity to use TweenTribune for the first time this year. TweenTribune is not-for-profit online newspaper for children between the ages of eight and fifteen. It is updated with stories relevant to pre-adolescents interests. The students in your class will be able to post comments to stories, and you will be able to proof read them before they are published. I enjoyed using this site, because I was able to experiment with technology I can use effectively in the classroom. Before I use anything with my students, I will want to perfect the glitches that may occur when I try it the first time. In order to assign these websites to my students, I want to make certain they are kid proof and 100% appropriate. This electronic news system was great to experiment with, and I feel as if I became more knowledgeable using it, because I can now take note of how to word certain phrases to make them more understandable for my students. 


Here are a few of the posts I made throughout the semester:
lindsayb-Smi Microsoft's new Windows 8 confuses users
The Microsoft engineers and engineers in general are all going over the top, trying to come up with this new technology the fastest. Now more then ever, these companies are competing to try and be the best, and now it is starting to backfire. Not only are they changing the computer world we are accustomed to, but they are also making a new operating system that is not cheap and not affordable for everyone. Personally, I think these computer companies are way over their heads. They need to take a step back and look at how technology can help the people instead of putting anything on the market as fast as they can.

lindsayb-Smi Turtle in Paradise
I love the story line of this book! It sounds like something I would do and easy for me to relate to. Turtle sounds a lot like me. The pirate treasure map sounds very exciting, and I'd like to read it sometime.

lindsayb-Smi ACT more popular than SAT
Personally, I performed much better on the ACT than I did on the SAT. This exam tests students more on their common knowledge, whereas the SAT is everything you have ever studied. I think it is very interesting males score higher on critical reading. I guess that does go along with science, but it is still surprising. Another thing that surprised me was the 100% SAT rate in Delaware. I think everyone should take both tests.


lindsayb-Smi Should teens be allowed to trick-or-treat?
Personally, I trick or treated until my sophomore year of college. My friends and I dressed up in great costumes and went door to door every year, and never had a problem. We looked young enough to pass for 14 and 15 when we were actually 17 and 18. We also never caused any problems with toddlers. My friends and I love dressing up and it is a nice way to feel young again. Now I am obviously too young and would rather hand out candy instead of dressing up. If the kids are acting in a polite manner I think it is alright for them to trick or treat for longer.

lindsayb-Smi What did this eyeball come from?
Finding an eyeball on the beach is not something that happens everyday. This is such an astounding discovery. I'm not sure how I would act if I found it, but I probably would not touch it--someone else would have to do that for me. If I had to guess it definitely is a marine animal, but I'm not able to pin point what type of animal. I was really interested in this addition to science so I looked into it further and saw that the mystery was solved! On this website you will read that it is the eyeball of a swordfish. I had no idea they grew that big! http://deepseanews.com/2012/10/solved-where-did-the-big-eye-in-the-sea-come-from/

lindsayb-Smi SHHH! Scientists invent cure for boring people
This device is definitely unique. It can be used in acceptable and disrupting ways. I wouldn't say this is a cure for boring people. This can actually be a good thing for students if used correctly. Professors/teachers can use this device to help pupils in a public speaking class. Although they must be aware of any kind of disability a child may have, because then it could become learning gone awry .



As you can see, there are a variety of different topic students can look into. Current events are a great way to open up a social studies class. Talking about current events helps the student become more aware of the world, and neighborhood around them. Since Tween Tribune is written for pre-adolescent children, that means the students will be able to understand the articles very easily. Tween Tribune also follows the common core requirements because the students are reading informational texts and writing about them. I personally really liked using Tween Tribune, because it was a quick way to get updated on obscure news I have never heard about, and I also knew I was going to use this with my students one day. I will be certified to teach first through sixth grade, therefore I have to come up with different ways to assign this website. Luckily for me, there are different tabs on the website that I can assign. There is a choice of TTJunior, Tween, and Teen, therefore I can assign the proper tab to each age group, how convenient! After I have assigned the current event, I will ask each of my students to come into class prepared to share what that have learned from the article and their own opinions about it. 

Alice Walker once said, "All History is current; all injustice continues on some level, somewhere in the world."



Hearing this quotes make me believe that students should keep up to date on their current events. Something new happens in the world everyday, not just things that ruin your day, but also new experiments working, a break through in medicine, a new park created in honor of loved ones, or even artifacts from long ago. Scott Foresman Social Studies has a great current event page for students. It gives students the chance to look at events from 2012-2005 and also 1900-2012. That is a lot of history to go through! I also found their link about The Presidents to be a fantastic tool to turn to if I ever needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment