Friday, September 21, 2012

The Pros and Cons of Technology


Today, we took the time to revisit technology in the classroom. In the clip you are about to watch, you will see a girl who is extremely resistant to using the internet for academic purposes. Find out what she thinks of the internet by the end of the clip!


Personally, I really enjoyed this short clip. It was really great to hear the students explaining their experiences with certain technology inside and out of the classroom. All of the students explained how the internet can be educational as well as used for entertainment purposes, and that is extremely important. I learned a few things from this clip too. I have never used or experimented with twitter, therefore, I cannot comment about anything yet. I still have some research to do on how it can be used in the classroom. I enjoyed the one girl who brought up her air pollution project in China. She was able to bring in all this information from both China and New York City while comparing the two very easily. I thought that was really nifty.Youtube is a site I am not very fond of for educational means. I dislike the idea of posting videos to Youtube, because there seems to be a lot of cyber bullying on Youtube specifically. The people who post the videos are not always receiving constructive criticism, and that worries me as a future teacher, because I do not want to be the reason why my students are emotionally scarred. Nevertheless it is a risk that students are willing to take. 

The very beginning of this video was an incredible reality check and it made me realize some of the things young adults do now a days are silly, but we do them anyway, because that is what we are used to. In the classroom, I would use technology a little differently then those teachers did. I would use a site called Schooltube. This is a more academic friendly site than Youtube. There are a variety of videos from both teachers and students. Most importantly these videos are made just for kids, so they make the information more bearable to sit through.

No comments:

Post a Comment