Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Twitter?!?

I have never used twitter before so I decided to google the definition of it to get a better understanding. The definition I found was, a very popular instant messaging system that lets a person send brief text messages up to 140 characters in length to a list of followers. Also a series of short, high-pitched calls or sounds.


In the classroom technology is taking over, and there is nothing to do to stop it. Our job as teachers is to master technology and keep up with the latest inventions.  Twitter can be used as a social networking website, and also an educational reference. 


There is this great blog that introduces 60 ways to use twitter in the classroom. http://www.teachthought.com/social-media/60-ways-to-use-twitter-in-the-classroom-by-category/



After reading this blog, I would like to highlight a few of my favorite points about twitter. These are some of the few tips I would use in my classroom.



1. The first one I found useful was the bulletin board. That sounds extremely helpful. I would love to be able to wake up and only have to check one means on technology. Sometimes I find myself checking my email, school account, and other means of technology to figure out what is going on in class. It would be nice if everything was in one location. 




2. Silencing blurts- this idea is genius!! Instead of a student calling out, they can tweet what they want to say instead of disturbing the class. This also teaches the student self control.

3. Parent Communication is also a really great idea. This is an easy way for parents to stay in touch with the teacher, and they can also keep up with the activities in class. This is great for parents who cannot make it in time for parent teacher conferences or work abroad. 



4. Twitter recaps is my favorite way to use twitter. This sounds like the most effective out of all 60! This is a fun and exciting way for kids to listen to their teachers. Putting little facts every day on twitter to just review the day is great review.


5. Following historical figures sounds really neat as well! What a cool way to learn about history.

6. Vocabulary building on twitter is a wonderful resource too. This is a great way to for students to write out a sentence using a new vocabulary word. This will help them succeed and later on with SAT's.


No comments:

Post a Comment